I love this recipe so much! I used to over bake Gingerbread men and give them to my little ones when I was grocery shopping. It would take them about 45 minutes to eat one, and that was my shopping trip done. (and they were happy children the entire time!) This is a Canadian west coast recipe.
5 cups unsifted all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 teaspoons ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup vegetable shortening 3/4 cup sugar 1 large egg 1 cup molasses (the recipe calls for light, but I always use dark – in England use black treacle)
- On waxed paper, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Stir in flour mixture to make a stiff dough. Divide dough into thirds; wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour (or up to 3 days) before rolling out on floured waxed paper.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. For cut out cookies, cover 2 or 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out to 1/4 inch (or 1/8). I often roll the dough out on paper, 1/2 inch apart, remove the excess dough, and slide the paper with cut out cookie shapes onto the baking pan.
- Bake small gingerbread pieces for 8-10 minutes, 12-15 minutes for larger pieces. Cookies should be firm and golden brown when done. Store in airtight containers. Enjoy!
- Decorate if desired.